Thursday, August 6, 2009

Troy-Bilt 31cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Straight Shaft String Trimmer With SpeedLock #TB70SS

The Troy-Bilt 2-cycle 31 cc clutch gas trimmer features convenient EZ-Start choke technology, which allows the user to simply flip the choke, prime the engine, and then give a slow, smooth, easy pull for a guaranteed start. The EZ-Start technology allows the trimmer's engine to engage with 55-percent less effort than most gas models. With its rugged 31 cc engine, the trimmer provides plenty of brawn to power through the most ragged, overgrown growth. The trimmer's professional-style straight-shaft, split-boom design gives easy access underneath low-growing shrubs. The trimmer cuts in a 17-inch radius and features heavy-duty, 0.095-inch dual lines with convenient bump-head line release.

When it's time to replace the line, the featured SpeedSpool line replacement system is exceptionally easy to load and rewind, all without removing the spool or taking it apart. The entire trimmer feels exceptionally balanced and comfortable in the hand, and the ergonomic soft-grip D-shaped handle easily adjusts for both right and left-handed users. The trimmer's engine and upper handle is compatible with other Troy-Bilt EZ-Link attachments (sold separately), a feature that allows you to turn your trimmer into an edger, cultivator, hedge trimmer, blower, or pole saw. The trimmer comes with all the necessary oil for immediate operation, and is covered by a 2-year limited warranty.
Customer Review: Will not hold up beyond 2 seasons of use!
I got the TB-70SS from Lowe's thinking it would suffice for my homeowner needs (trimming/edging every 1-2 weeks) but it did not make it into its third season now. The first problem I had, as a few other reviewers also said, was with the bump-feel head which got beaten up after a few uses (and I know how to us a trimmer). Reloading line into the bump-head, which jams shut, meant getting the whole toolbox, spraying WD40 and hoping it would open. Regardless it took at least 20 minutes. I also had problems with the trimmer getting bogged down in a slightly bigger clump of weeds. The engine/clutch assembly is pretty heavy but doesn't have much power. In my second season of use the engine/clutch started giving me problems - the engine RPMs would redline without squeezing the trigger and at the end of the season (possibly due to the engine issue above) the clutch wore out and the trimmer's useless. This after following all the maintainence/storage instructions in the owners manual to the letter! Another issue - If you use this trimmer for edging (which you flip it over 90 degrees) you will notice that the fuel tank cap faces downward and the cap and the seal/washer inside are made of cheap material and they will start leaking fuel and I don't need to tell you the hazards of that alongside the hot engine. As another reviewer stated - good luck finding replacement parts (even filler caps) for this. Overall this trimmer was built with cheapo components, was never really thought-out and tested in the design/build phase. Never buying a Troy-Bilt again. For my third season I have purchased a Shindaiwa T222 which is from their HomePro line. Yes it cost a 120 dollars more than this piece of junk but you will feel the difference the mmoment you pick one up and use it. I just used it to get rid of some large weed growth from the winter and it just demolished the big, thick patch of weeds. The power is outstanding, its lighter than the TroyBilt, ergonomics are great and the best feature is that it has the Speed Feed bump-head which never takes more than 30-45 seconds to reload. See the video at, http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/technology_2/speedfeed/index.php The only catch is that you will have to go to an authorized Shindaiwa dealer to purchase one (the don't sell them online). My suggestion to readers considering the TB70SS - it seems cheap right now but in a year or two you will regret your purchase. Put down some extra money right now and get something better like Shindaiwa or Stihl.
Customer Review: Line feeder is a problem
I purchased the model TB70SS String trimmer with cultivator attachment. All works well except for the line feed heads that came with the unit. Does the bump feed let out line? Absolutely, but the bump head uses entirely too much line. Never had this problem before with any other trimmer. The entire spool (15-20 ft of line) empties before the job is completed. I tried the bonus fixed line head that came with the unit but it is useless because the line keeps flying off the head while in use. I even went back to Lowe's to ask and ensure I was attaching and locking the line correctly. I am disappointed as this is my first Troy Built unit. I never had this problem with other brands in the past 20 years. I asked TroyBuilt on-line if they had any suggestions. They gave me their warranty blurb and told me to go to an authorized repair center. Did they not understand that there is nothing wrong with the unit except for their design? I guess I will get a universal head and try that. Not impressed at all with their answer or on-line support.


cordless electric trimmer

1 comment:

  1. My wife finally convinced me to spend the money on a new one. I warned her that if I did, it was going to be expensive. Her solution anytime anything breaks is to buy a new one. My solution is always to try to troy bilt string trimmer it. Both of us embrace our solutions to a fault.

    ReplyDelete